Are you looking for a way to make a difference in your community? Do you have a passion for helping with the literacy challenges in our neighborhood? Do you enjoy meeting new people?
Then join Newport Beach library’s Project Adult Literacy (PAL) program as a tutor or volunteer and help adult learners develop lifelong reading and writing skills.
We are looking for dedicated community members who can help adults develop reading and writing skills. As a PAL tutor, you'll have the opportunity to interact with Library staff and the public while assisting with a variety of projects and programs. Come join the fun!
Tutors do not need to have a background in teaching, nor do they need to know how to teach. If you're considering becoming a tutor, you must:
- be at least 24 years of age
- complete the orientation and training sessions
- complete follow up training and workshops as necessary
- be able to commit to meeting their learner for a minimum of 1 hour per week for 1 year
- have the desire to help somebody else achieve their goal
- participate in at least 2 tutor meetings or training sessions per year
- complete and submit reports as requested
Tutor Orientation and Training
Tutors are required to complete online orientation and attend tutor training. Orientation must be completed before attending the training sessions. Online orientations can be taken at any time.
Please be aware that when you take the Online Tutor Orientation (approximately 20 minutes), you must complete and submit the online application at the end of the orientation in order to be scheduled for one of our Tutor Training sessions.