Book Discussion Group
- Date: 10/12/2022 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- Location: Friends Meeting Room
1000 Avocado Avenue
Newport Beach, California 92660
A House Between Earth and the Moon by Rebecca Scherm - presented by NBPL Foundation
Near-future Earth is in deep trouble. The humanity-saving space station Parallaxis isn’t looking so good either. A novel that merges science fiction and eco-fiction. The main protagonist Alex, a beleaguered scientist who has long been hoping to create a species of algae that can consume enough carbon dioxide to stem global warming. He has been recruited by Sensus, a Google/Apple–ish megacorp, to do his research on Parallaxis, a space station orbiting Earth that’s designed partly for research, partly as an escape hatch for billionaires looking to get away from the chaos down below.
Prescient and insightful, A House Between Earth and the Moon is at once a captivating epic about the machinations of big tech and a profoundly intimate meditation on the unmistakably human bonds that hold us together.
- Friends Room, Central Library, 1000 Avocado Avenue, Newport Beach, CA
- 2nd Wednesday of the month / September to May
- 9:30am - 11:00am / doors open at 9:15am
- FREE (a suggested donation of $10.00 is always appreciated)
- No Reservations required
- Come whether you’ve read the book or not as The Group is kind, curious, and engaging!
The Book Discussion Group members select, read, and discuss 9-10 books per year. This active and dynamic Group meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month from 9:30am - 11:00am in the Friends Room at the Central Library. All are welcome whether you’ve read the book or not and the program is FREE. Refreshments are provided and the books are available through the Newport Beach Public Library.
For detailed 2022-2023 Book Discussion Group reading list: https://nbplf.foundation/programs/book-discussion-group/