Book Discussion Group
- Date: 05/11/2022 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- Location: Friends Meeting Room
1000 Avocado Avenue
Newport Beach, California 92660
The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa- presented by NBPL Foundation
On an unnamed island off an unnamed coast, objects are disappearing: first hats, then ribbons, birds, roses—until things become much more serious. Most of the island’s inhabitants are oblivious to these changes, while those few imbued with the power to recall the lost objects live in fear of the draconian Memory Police, who are committed to ensuring that what has disappeared remains forgotten. When a young woman who is struggling to maintain her career as a novelist discovers that her editor is in danger from the Memory Police, she concocts a plan to hide him beneath her floorboards. As fear and loss close in around them, they cling to her writing as the last way of preserving the past.
- Friends Room, Central Library, 1000 Avocado Avenue, Newport Beach, CA
- 2nd Wednesday of the month / September to May
- 9:30am - 11:00am / doors open at 9:15am
- FREE (a suggested donation of $10.00 is always appreciated)
- No Reservations required
- Come whether you’ve read the book or not as The Group is kind, curious, and engaging!
The Book Discussion Group members select, read, and discuss 9-10 books per year. This active and dynamic Group meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month from 9:30am - 11:00am in the Friends Room at the Central Library. All are welcome whether you’ve read the book or not and the program is FREE. Refreshments are provided and the books are available through the Newport Beach Public Library.
For detailed 2021-2022 Book Discussion Group reading list: https://nbplf.foundation/programs/book-discussion-group/