1. What should I do in advance to prepare for my group visit to the library?
· When you schedule your visit, please tell us how we can support your curriculum with particular topics, themes, and types of materials. Also let us know if you want us to include something special like play time or a behind-the-scenes tour of the circulation department (where books get checked in and sorted).
· If you intend to have your group check out books, please remind students who already have library cards to bring them the day of your visit. For students who don’t have library cards and would like to apply, be sure to request library cards for your group when you schedule a visit. (See question #4.)
· Please arrange to have at least one chaperone for every ten students.
2. What can my group expect during our visit?
Each group will tour the children’s room, learn about library rules, materials, and how to use the library, and listen to a story. When you schedule your visit, please remember to indicate on the form if you would like time to check out books, a tour of the circulation area, play time, and so on.
3. What can my students borrow from Newport Beach Public Library?
Students can check out books, audiobooks, music CDs, and periodicals. An adult library card is required to borrow Blu-rays, DVDs, video games, and Tech Toys. Students can also use their cards to access online databases, as well as e-books and e-audio through Overdrive and Tumblebooks.
4. How can my students borrow library materials?
Students will need a library card to borrow books on the day of your group visit. When you schedule a visit, be sure to request library cards for your group.
5. How many items can my students borrow and for how long?
All items checked out on a child’s card have a 3-week loan period. Each library card holder is allowed to borrow up to 50 items; however, most groups limit checkout during the visit to 1 or 2 items. Please discuss this with the librarian prior to your group visit. If students need to keep materials longer than the original due date, they can be renewed up to four times as long as the item is not on hold for someone else. Students can renew items online, in-person, or by calling the library before the due date.
6. Can my students reserve items?
Yes! Students with library cards can place a hold in person at the library, from home through the online catalog, or by telephone by calling Telephone Reference at 949-717-3800, extension 2. The maximum number of holds is 50.
7. Where can students use their library cards?
Students can use their library cards at any of our four Newport Beach locations:
· Central Library: 1000 Avocado Ave.
· Mariners Branch: 1300 Irvine Ave.
· Balboa Branch: 100 E. Balboa Blvd.
· Corona del Mar Branch: 410 Marigold Ave.
In addition we have a concierge service at:
· Newport Coast Community Center: 6401 San Joaquin Hills Rd.
· OASIS Senior Center: 801 Narcissus Ave.
· Marina Park: 1600 W. Balboa Blvd.
Materials can be borrowed from, and returned to, any of these locations. Students may also use their cards to access e-books and student databases on our Newport Beach Public Library website.
8. What else does the Library offer?
NBPL offers a wide range of educational programs, including storytimes for babies through preschoolers, STEAM programs such as crafts, author visits, a Summer Reading Program for all ages from babies through adults, family-friendly music and dance performances, and more! Please check the Newport Beach Public Library calendar for a complete listing of our programs.
If you have additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.