Book Discussion Group
- Date: 11/09/2022 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- Location: Friends Meeting Room
1000 Avocado Avenue
Newport Beach, California 92660
Machines Like Me by Ian McEwan - presented by NBPL Foundation
Machines Like Me occurs in an alternative 1980s London. Charlie, drifting through life and dodging full-time employment, is in love with Miranda, a bright student who lives with a terrible secret. When Charlie comes into money, he buys Adam, one of the first batch of synthetic humans. With Miranda’s assistance, he co-designs Adam’s personality. This near-perfect human is beautiful, strong and clever – a love triangle soon forms. These three beings will confront a profound moral dilemma.
Ian McEwan’s subversive and entertaining new novel poses fundamental questions: what makes us human? Our outward deeds or our inner lives? Could a machine understand the human heart? This provocative and thrilling tale warns of the power to invent things beyond our control.
- Friends Room, Central Library, 1000 Avocado Avenue, Newport Beach, CA
- 2nd Wednesday of the month / September to May
- 9:30am - 11:00am / doors open at 9:15am
- FREE (a suggested donation of $10.00 is always appreciated)
- No Reservations required
- Come whether you’ve read the book or not as The Group is kind, curious, and engaging!
The Book Discussion Group members select, read, and discuss 9-10 books per year. This active and dynamic Group meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month from 9:30am - 11:00am in the Friends Room at the Central Library. All are welcome whether you’ve read the book or not and the program is FREE. Refreshments are provided and the books are available through the Newport Beach Public Library.
For detailed 2022-2023 Book Discussion Group reading list: https://nbplf.foundation/programs/book-discussion-group/