To view Library Events in mobile list format: CLICK HERE.
The Witte Lecture Series - Sam Quinones - CANCELED
- Date: 04/18/2020 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Location: Friends Meeting Room
1000 Avocado Avenue
Newport Beach, California 92660
Dreamland - Opioids in America: Past, Present, and Future
Saturday, April 18, 2:00pm
Sam Quinones’ book Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic (2015) won a National Book Critics Circle Award and was on a dozen Best Book of the Year lists. Why? The book struck a common chord. Quinones is a masterful storyteller and sought-after speaker who shares how the silent tragedy has impacted communities and families coast to coast. And what a tale . . . Dreamland is riveting. Quinones recounts how a pharmaceutical corporation promoted its legal opiate prescription painkiller as non-addictive and the rise of international drug trafficking. The collision of these two forces has led America into the deadliest drug scourge in modern times. Dreamland is now being adapted for a young adult audience, grades 8-12.
- Friends Room, Central Library, 1000 Avocado Avenue, Newport Beach, CA
- Doors open at 1:30pm
- Lecture and Q&A 2:00pm-3:30pm followed by Book Sale and Signing, and Light Supper with Wine till 4:00pm
- Ticket: $45 General / $40 NBPLF Member
- Tickets go on sale Friday, November 1, 2019. Reserve tickets online at nbplfoundation.org or by phone at 949-717-3892
For a full list of The Witte Lectures Series 2020: https://www.nbplfoundation.org/content/The-Witte-Lectures.html