Tutors do not need to have an background in teaching, nor do they need to know how to teach. Tutors must:
- have the desire to help somebody else achieve their goal
- be at least 24 years of age
- complete the orientation and a 6 hour training
- complete follow up training and workshops as necessary
- be able to commit to meeting their learner for a minimum of 1 hour per week for 1 year
- participate in at least 2 tutor meetings or trainings per year
- complete and submit reports as requested
Tutor Orientation and Training
Tutors are required to complete online orientation and attend tutor training. Orientation must be completed before attending the training sessions.
Please be aware that when you take the Online Tutor Orientation (approximately 20 minutes), you must complete and submit the online application at the end of the orientation in order to be scheduled for one of our Tutor Training sessions.
Online orientations can be taken at any time. The dates for tutor training sessions are listed below:
2017 Training Dates
February 15 & 22, 5:30-8:30 pm
May 11 & 18, 9:15 am-12:15 pm
August 9 & 16, 5:30-8:30 pm
November 9 & 16, 9:15 am-12:15 pm
Please note that Orientation and Tutor Training dates and times are subject to change. Please contact literacy office before attending.