Current Size: 100%
About Newport Beach Public Library
To be the cultural, educational and informational heart of Newport Beach.
Central Library Floorplan
A new map that includes the first and second floor library expansion
Hours & Locations:
Addresses, phone numbers, a map and hours for each NBPL location.
About Newport Beach:
History and general information about the City of Newport Beach.
Board of Library Trustees:
Information about the governing Board of the library.
Policies governing the use of the Newport Beach Public Library.
News & Press:
News releases, facts and figures, photos and other information helpful in preparing articles about NBPL and upcoming events.
Get in touch with us via email, phone or postal mail.
Newport Beach Public Library Historical Highlights
- 1909 - Ebell Club procures a small traveling collection from the State Library, which the members made available to the community a few hours a week.
- 1920's - Municipal library formally established by City Council, with a Board of Library Trustees and budget of $75 per month.
- 1929 – The 2,200 square foot Balboa Branch Library is built, costing $7,000.
- 1952 - The Balboa Branch expands to 5,000 square feet, with a more open, modern façade, windows and entrance replacing the Spanish style exterior. The Corona del Mar station library moves to a 2,000 square foot building on Marigold.
- 1963 – The 5,000 square foot Mariners Branch is built, costing $15,000.
- 1994 - Architects Simon Martin-Vegue Winkelstein Moris of San Francisco, in Association with James L. Pirdy of Newport Beach, design the new Central Library building. Grand opening of the 54,000 square foot Central Library was celebrated in July of 1994.