1. The Media Lab is open to valid Newport Beach Public Library (NBPL) card holders whose accounts are in good standing.
2. Customers under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
3. Users can make 4 hour reservations (with extended time permitted if no one else is waiting) to use a Media Lab computer by speaking to a staff member. Reservations will be held for 10 minutes after they are scheduled to begin and will be considered canceled at that time.
4. Use of the Media Lab will be checked out on the user’s Newport Beach Public Library account and a photo ID will be held.
5. All general behavioral guidelines for the Library apply, specifically, the Library Use Policy and Internet Use Policy.
6. Food and drink are not permitted in the Media Lab at any time.
7. Cell phone conversations are not allowed in the Media Lab. Cell phones must be set to silent. Customers using the Media Lab portion of the Media Lab for audio projects must use headphones. Headphone volume must be such that other customers will not be disturbed.
8. The workspace area of the Media Lab is reserved for customers using Media Lab software or who are working on digital media projects (videos, music, websites, photo editing, scanning). Users who want to browse the Internet or use Microsoft Office products should use the public computers in other areas of the building or check out a laptop. For group study, please reserve one of our three study rooms.
9. Users will be assigned to a specific computer based on their project needs. When making an appointment, customers should inform staff of their specific hardware and software requirements.
10. Saving work on Media Lab computers is prohibited. Users must save their work on an external memory source. CDs and flash drives are sold in the Media Center. The Library is not responsible for any work that is unsaved, corrupted, or altered in the Media Lab.
11. Media Lab users with large files must save, export or transfer large projects to external devices prior to closing. Allow ample time to save, export, transfer large files, or process your files. The Media Lab will close no later than 30 minutes prior to Library closing times.
12. Media Lab users may not install or download software or upgrades. For help or to suggest software, downloads and upgrades, please see Library Staff.
13. The Library is not responsible for any valuables left unattended.
14. Media Lab policies are subject to periodic review and change by the Library Board of Trustees.
Reviewed by the Board of Library Trustees on June 16, 2014.