In concurrence with the executive order issued by the Governor of the State of California, all Newport Beach Public Library branches will be closed until further notice to limit the number of people in a public building and to help curtail further spread of COVID-19 in the community. Since so much has changed during the last couple months, here are the answers to some of the questions you may have:
Automatic Renewals: Eligible Library materials will now automatically renew if there are no holds on loaned materials. Patrons will be sent a notice of renewal success or failure to the email address in their account. For specific information on which items are eligible for automatic renewal, please refer to the Circulation Policy.
What is Curbside Service?
When can I pick up items using Curbside Service?
Curbside Service is available Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at all four Newport Beach Public Library locations: Central Library, Corona Del Mar Library, Balboa Library and Crean Mariners Library. Please note: There will not be Curbside Service on the upcoming holiday: September 7.
How do I use the Curbside Service?
- Place items on hold using the Library website catalog. Identify preferred library pickup location: Central, Balboa, Corona Del Mar or Mariners.
- Request Curbside Service by using the Curbside Pickup form or by calling your library location at the following numbers:
- Central: (949) 717-3860
- Mariners: (949) 717-3844
- Balboa: (949) 644-3076
- CdM: (949) 644-3075
- Library staff will prepare your items for pickup. Limited to 10 items.
- Wait until you receive a hold notification that your library materials are ready to be picked up, then go to the Library and park in the designated area.
- Call the number posted on the sign and have your Library card number ready.
- Wait for delivery of materials. Remain in your vehicle or keep at least 6 feet away from the table until library staff has delivered your items and moved away from the pickup area. Then you may approach and pick up your library materials.
- Please place all returned materials in the exterior book drop. Do not leave returns at the table.
How many items can I pick up using Curbside Service?
Will I lose my HOLD items if I do not pick up during the closure?
Starting June 1st, holds will begin to expire.
How do I return library materials?
You may return your Library materials using the exterior book drops at all four NBPL locations and Newport Coast Community Center. There will be no pick up at any of the concierge locations, and book drops at Marina Park and Oasis remain closed until further notice
Will I be fined if I am unable to return library materials during the closure?
Starting June 1, library materials will have regular loan periods. Fines will begin accruing for late materials after June 1. Exterior book drops are open for returns at all locations.
What safeguards are in place for returned items?
In order to safeguard the health of patrons and staff, Newport Beach Public Library is quarantining all items for 96 hours after their return. Based on a study commissioned by the Institute of Museums and Library Service, Batelle Memorial Institute, a private nonprofit applied science and technology development company, conducted tests by applying the virulent SARS-CoV-2 virus (the virus that causes COVID-19) on five materials held at standard room temperature and humidity conditions. The materials tested included the following items:
- Hardback book cover (buckram cloth)
- Softback book cover
- Plain paper pages inside a closed book
- Plastic book covering (biaxially oriented polyester film)
- DVD case
- Glossy paper pages
- Magazine pages
- Children’s board book
Results show that the SARS-CoV-2 virus was not detectable on the materials after four days of quarantine. Initially, the study recommended 72 hours of quarantine, but further testing revealed that the virus persisted longer on glossy book pages, magazine pages, and board books. The evaluation demonstrates that standard office temperature and relative humidity conditions typically achievable by any air-conditioned office space provide an environment that allows for the natural attenuation of SARS-CoV-2 present on these common materials after four days of quarantine. For the complete report, visit: https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/test2-results.html
Are there any library resources I can use while branches are closed?Yes. The Library provides a wide array of digital offerings, including e-books, audiobooks, magazines, and streaming movies through our e-Branch. Manage your account online – search the catalog, place holds, and renew items.
I have a question about my account. Is there anyone that can help me?
Yes. If you have any questions about your account or how to access digital resources please use the Contact Us page: https://www.newportbeachlibrary.org/about/contact-us.
Yes. If you have a reference question please use the Contact Us Form or call (949) 717-3800, option 2.
I have a reference question. Is there anyone who can help?