The Newport Beach Public Library’s Central and Mariners Libraries are open for limited in-person services and Balboa and Corona del Mar are offering Curbside Service. Since so much has changed during the last couple months, here are the answers to some of the questions you may have:
Returning Materials: Return items to the exterior book drops. Interior book drops are also available at Central and Mariners during open hours. Returns require up to 3-days in quarantine before check-in. No fines for items returned on time, by the due date. You are welcome to check your account and follow up with library staff a week after the returned date if items have not been checked in. Exterior book drops at all four NBPL locations and Newport Coast Community Center are open. There will be no pick up at any of the concierge locations, and book drops at Marina Park and Oasis remain closed until further notice.
Automatic Renewals: Eligible Library materials will now automatically renew if there are no holds on loaned materials. Patrons will be sent a notice of renewal success or failure to the email address in their account. For specific information on which items are eligible for automatic renewal, please refer to the Circulation Policy.
What is Curbside Service?
When can I pick up items using Curbside Service?
Curbside Service is available Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Balboa Library and Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Corona del Mar Library. The Central Library and Mariners Branch reopened to the public and no longer offer curbside.
How do I use the Curbside Service?
- Place items on hold using the Library website catalog. Identify preferred library pickup location: Balboa or Corona del Mar.
- Request Curbside Service by using the Curbside Pickup form or by calling your library location at the following numbers:
- Balboa: (949) 644-3076
- CdM: (949) 644-3075
- Library staff will prepare your items for pickup. Limited to 10 items.
- Wait until you receive a hold notification that your library materials are ready to be picked up, then go to the Library and park in the designated area.
- Call the number posted on the sign and have your Library card number ready.
- Wait for delivery of materials. Remain in your vehicle or keep at least 6 feet away from the table until library staff has delivered your items and moved away from the pickup area. Then you may approach and pick up your library materials.
- Please place all returned materials in the exterior book drop. Do not leave returns at the table.
How many items can I pick up using Curbside Service?
Will I lose my HOLD items if I do not pick up during the closure?
Yes. You have 1 week to pick up your holds after you have been notified that they are available.
How do I return library materials?
You may return your Library materials using the exterior book drops at all four NBPL locations and Newport Coast Community Center. You may also return books inside at the Central and Mariners locations during open hours. There will be no pick up at any of the concierge locations, and book drops at Marina Park and Oasis remain closed until further notice.
Will I be fined if I am unable to return library materials during the closure?
Library materials have regular loan periods. Fines accrue for late materials. Exterior book drops are open for returns at all locations.
What safeguards are in place for returned items?
As information is disseminated, and we learn more about COVID-19 transmission, the Library has adjusted its quarantine period for returned items. In order to safeguard the health of patrons and staff, Newport Beach Public Library is currently quarantining all items for up to 3 days after their return.
Are there any library resources I can use while branches are closed?Yes. The Library provides a wide array of digital offerings, including e-books, audiobooks, magazines, and streaming movies through our e-Branch. Manage your account online – search the catalog, place holds, and renew items.
I have a question about my account. Is there anyone that can help me?
Yes. If you have any questions about your account or how to access digital resources please use the Contact Us page: https://www.newportbeachlibrary.org/about/contact-us.
Yes. If you have a reference question please use the Contact Us Form or call (949) 717-3800, option 2.
I have a reference question. Is there anyone who can help?